The aim of PE at Bromley Beacon Academy is to make a real difference to our pupils lives through the promotions of healthy and active living. In addition to taking part of a range of sports in both a social and competitive form, the PE programme of study provides opportunities for the students to become:
- Successful learners
- Confident individuals
- Responsible citizens
- All students access core PE lessons which cover individual and team sports in addition to having opportunities to access Outdoor and Adventurous activities, swimming and Athletics via rewards, themed weeks and focussed activities.
The PE programme of study for students builds on the knowledge, skills and understanding acquired at Key Stage 2. Students will become increasingly physically competent by:
- developing the range and quality of their physical skills
- improving their ability to use tactics, strategies and compositional principles
- improving their capacity to perform effectively
- improving their ability to analyse performance and make judgements about what makes a performance successful.
- Through the range of activities and variety of roles that students experience, they begin to make informed choices about their own commitment to leading a healthy, active life. They begin to identify the types of activities and roles they prefer and are best suited to.
Key Stage 4
Level 1 Award in the Principles of Coaching (Year 10)
This qualification aims to introduce sports coaching and provide learners with the skills and principles to deliver sports coaching sessions safely. Enable learners to plan, implement and analyse coaching sessions. Provide progression for learners from Level 1 through to Level 3.
Level 2 Certificate in Sport Coaching (Year 11)
With this course, students will learn how to coach general skills and techniques, as well as focusing on specific sports. Students will also learn how to plan and run their own sessions, and how training conditions the body - essential knowledge for any good coach. This course will give students the ability to work in the sports industry or to progress to level 3 Sports Coaching.
Level 3 Certificate in Sport Coaching (6th Form)
These qualifications aim to help support learners’ development by providing them with the advanced skills and knowledge to either start a career in sport or progress within employment in the sector. They will also provide progression opportunities and prepare learners for higher or further education. The pathways within the qualifications allow learners to follow a particular specialist area but still allow flexibility in the choice of unit combinations.
Useful websites for the subject
V Cert Qualifications: