Science at Bromley Beacon Academy aims to give learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that will enable them to progress to qualifications in a Science or Technology related area at a higher level.
Gateway Qualifications Level 1 Award, Certificate and Extended Certificate in Applied Science and Technology are all available to students taking science as an option in year 10.
During Year 9 all pupils are taught applied science within their other subjects:
- Electronics in Action is taught in ICT, motorbike mechanics and music
- Effective communication in the workplace is taught in English
- Using ICT in the workplace is taught in ICT
Students completing the year will be awarded the Level 1 Award in Applied Science and Technology
During Year 10 all pupils are taught applied science within their other subjects:
- The Study of Living Systems is taught in English and as part of whole day field trips.
- Using mathematics tools in science and technology is taught in mathematics.
Students completing the year will be awarded the Level 1 Certificate in Applied Science and Technology
Pupils in Year 10 taking science as an option will complete additional modules in the science department:
- Forensic detection.
- Nature and application of energy waves and radiation.
- Carrying out a science or technology project (this module finishes at the start of year 11).
Students completing the year and optional modules will be awarded the Level 1 Extended Certificate in Applied Science and Technology
At level 1 pupils are assessed on their ability to:
- Know, identify and use basic scientific methodologies.
- Know, identify and use basic scientific tools.
- Understand that science and technology are integrated into the world around them.
- Produce a comprehensive portfolio of evidence using varied methods.
Where to next:
- Further learning at the same level (level 1 diploma)
- Further learning at a higher level (level 2 award, certificate or extended certificate)
- Careers in science as laboratory technicians